top of page

Organ Hall

Monuments of architecture of national importance (Protected number 911)  - a church on the square Sobornaja, 4 in the city of Bila Tserkva, Kyiv region

Object: The Bila Tserkva Catholic church of St. John the Baptist is located on the site of the Dytyntsi ancient Ukrainian city of Yur'ev (IX - XIII centuries) and the fortress of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries on the Zamkova hill. After the wooden church of 1730 in honor of John Nepomucen, due to his old age, began to threaten the destruction, the owner of the Bila Tserkva estate, Count Xavier Branicki, in 1789 allocated funds for the construction of a stone church on the Castle Hill, the author and builder of the church is Dominique Botany. The church was surrounded by a fence of wooden shtehatens on a stone pillar. The chapel consisted of things that belonged directly to the church, and things that belonged to Count Branicki and were used in them. In Soviet times the church with the Count's Tomb was plundered. In the 30 years of the twentieth century, the building was transferred to the Bila Tserkva Museum of Local Lore, and was used as a warehouse for museum exhibits. During the Second World War, during the occupation of 1941-1943, Catholic and Lutheran divine services were held in the church (the Catholic and Lutheran congregation consisted mainly of German soldiers); in 1942, representatives of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church served as liturgy with the permission of the German command in the church's premises. In the mid-1970s, it was decided to place an organ music hall in the church. But the restoration of the destroyed building lasted for a long 15 years and only in March 1990 the first concert of organ music took place.

The volume of the sight – 2414 m³, dimensions - 39,36 x 25,99 m, height - 39,67 m.

In the building of the church of St. John the Baptist, the status of the monument of national significance, protected by the number 911 in accordance with the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR of 06.09.1979 № 442 was given.


State of the building: In 2017, a commission consisting of experts from the Capital Construction Department of the Bila Tserkva City Council and specialists from the Research Institute of Architecture and Urban History completed an act of determining the loss of the monument, according to which the percentage of loss of the monument is 25.76%.


Object address: 09100, Kyiv region, Bila Tserkva, Oleksandriiskyi boulevard, 48.


Ownership: municipal.



Reconstruction of the church of St. John the Baptist, as an outstanding monument, will increase the flow of tourists by extending the functioning of the organ of organ music and preserving the architectural attractiveness of the city.



Office of communal property and concessions of the Bila Tserkva City Council

09100, Ukraine, Bila Tserkva, Andrii Sheptytskyi street, 2

Tel.: Head of Department: +38 (04563) 5-35-31

bottom of page